Friday, May 29, 2020

The Right Kind of Faith

The Right Kind of Faith

“For truly I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you” (Matthew 17:20).

Prayer

          Jesus, thank you so much for your Word. I ask that you speak to me this morning and help me understand what you are teaching me. Help me to open my heart and my mind to your Word. Also, I ask that you help me apply this Scripture to my life. I do not want to just receive knowledge of you – I want to live like you. In your name I pray – Amen!

Reflections

          I fell as if I am sitting right there amongst them and Jesus is speaking directly to me. There have been so many times in my life that I have felt completely helpless. That must be how these guys feel at this very moment. I think to myself sometimes: “I must not have enough faith in God.” Or, “My faith is so small that it is pretty much nonexistent.” A lot of the problem is that the faith that these people had and the faith that we have is focused on the material realm. Does that make sense to you? It sure does to me.

          I honestly believe that the people really did not see Jesus for who he was. I think that is one of my major problems too. I try to use Him more than anything else. Most all the people throughout the pages of Scripture try to use Jesus for their own interests. I mean it is understandable. I would want to see if I could not see. I would want to walk if I could not walk. I am not trying to sound negative here at all, but it was always, “Jesus, do this for me and then if you do not care do that for me to, and oh, while you are at it Jesus do this, and that, and this, and that!

          You remember in Scripture Jesus says, “If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. For it is better to enter heaven without these things than to be cast into hell.” Think about that one for just a moment. As you read through the Bible, you see only a handful that gave up everything and followed Jesus. And they struggled the whole time! And Jesus was right there with them, in the flesh! Do you not think it would be easier to follow him if he were here with you? If you could see him with your own eyes. If you could touch him with your very own hands. If you could experience things with him face to face. Laughing together, crying together! Person to person. These guys had that, and they struggled just as much with their faith as we do today. They struggled with the right kind of faith – just like we do!

          This challenges me so much. I still get lost and ask for all the wrong things most of the time. I do not want it to be about me, me, me. I want it to be about Him, Him, Him! I am learning that our faith must line up with God’s will. It cannot line up with our wants and our wills, or it is a counterfeit faith – is it not?

          I am encouraged by this because I needed to learn this today. I think this is something that we all need to hear. Especially me – Chris Stringer. I am learning to pray according to God’s will. I am asking for things that will grow me closer to Him; make me more like Him; and advance the Kingdom of God – not the kingdom of Chris! I still ask for things that I want sometimes – we all do this! And honestly, that is why we do not see those prayers answered. Are your prayers driven by biblical faith, or by faith in something else? Maybe your desires, your wants, or your needs! I had to ask myself this question. What is your answer? How do you feel about your faith now after reading my response?

Application

1.     I am going to pray for a faith like this. A faith that is completely Biblical and a faith that lines up completely with the will and wants of God!

2.     I am going to memorize “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14). I believe that Jesus is making this point in Matthew 17 verse 20.

Prayer

          Jesus thank you so much for what you have shown me from your Word. I am thankful that you love me and want a relationship with me. I am even more thankful that you are changing my life from the inside out. I am going to have days where I fail at these principles miserably. I will still pray based on my own personal interests rather than yours. I will still try to use you for my own self interests and wants rather than your perfect will and want for my life. I ask that you help me with this. Help me to be focused on You, Your Kingdom, and Your will for my life.

In Jesus Name I Pray – Amen!

Chris Stringer May 29th, 2020

         

 

No comments:

Post a Comment