Thursday, May 28, 2020

How Important is Love

How Important is Love

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples if you have love for one another” (John 13:34-35).

Prayer

          Jesus, thank you so much for your Word. I am having a hard time concentrating this morning. My mind is drifting everywhere, and I just cannot focus on anything that I am trying to do. I still desperately desire to hear from you this morning and I want to draw close to you. But it seems that the enemy is trying ridiculously hard to pull me away today. We are not going to let that happen. I am going to keep fighting through it. In your name I pray – Amen!

Reflections

          One of my 1st thoughts when I read this verse was; “Why does Jesus call this new? I thought we were always supposed to show love to others.” That is true, but as you read on, Jesus says, “Love one another: just as I have loved you.” Whoa! Jesus! Are you telling us that we must love each other in the same way that you have loved us? That is not humanly possible. I fail at this every single day. I fail at loving anyone like that – even myself. Last night at work, I definitely did not show a great Christian example of love to Sherry. I am not even capable of showing this kind of love to you Lord. I do not know if I will ever be able to do this.

          Jesus goes on to tell us in verse 35 that “By this (love), all people will know that you are my disciples.” Do you know how important this is Chris? Oh my gosh! I am deeply reminded of the importance of this. My anger and actions from work last night are reminding me now! Its as important as cutting the stove off when you are done cooking or turning the faucet to the tub off when it is full – except way more important than those two things. This is more important that burning your house down or getting water damage in your floors – trust me on this one!

          God allows the world to judge whether I am a disciple of Jesus by the way I behave toward other people. That is true! How many times have you looked at a Christian in a restaurant on a Sunday evening and said, “That is the rudest person I have ever saw.” Do you know how many of my friends in fast food have said that to me? They say, “I dread the Sunday church rush because those are some of the most hateful and rude people that we have to deal with!” That is so sad people. What is that saying to the world about God’s church? No wonder the gospel has struggled for the last 2,000 years and is still struggling today! We need to take Jesus seriously at his Words on this verse. Are we doing that? Apparently not! I know I have not been. There are many people that would say, “There is no way Chris is a disciple of Jesus Christ!” I have made a lot of mistakes, but thank goodness that Jesus loves me like he says he does! Can we love others like that?

          This passage challenges me because I cannot love like Jesus. I am usually only worried about myself and how I feel rather than others. But the closer I get to Jesus, and the more I understand His love, I can try to love better! The object of my affection at least shifts in that direction. I will still fall short, but the more I allow the love of God to change my life, the more I will allow that life changing love to shine on others.

          I am encouraged because Jesus loves me. He really loves me, and he loves you. He loves you so much that he died a horrible death, one that we could not even imagine going through – and we probably would not go through it for anyone at that! Especially someone that mistreated us as we have mistreated him. I can see the love of Jesus changing my life. I mean, I still mess up, but I am making progress. He is working on my heart. My actions do not completely line up yet because I still got a lot of garbage in my mind, but He is helping me with that as well. He loves us! If you are having a bad day today, remember that – He loves you! Let that love change your life, and you will change the lives of others!

Application

          Your application can be totally different than mine. This is what I felt like I needed to do through this Scripture. God may lead you in a totally different direction – and that is ok.

1.     I am going to go out of my way today for someone other than myself.

2.     You never know what someone else is going through. I am going to make it a point to say kind gestures to at least five people today. And hopefully make that a daily habit.

Prayer

          Jesus thank you so much for your Word. Thank you for opening my eyes and my heart to your Word, despite the enemy trying to distract me this morning. I want nothing more than to know you. That is what I long for. I have tried to replace you with drugs, alcohol, and sex, but that never worked. The part of my heart that has been empty was missing you. You are the only one that can fill that space. I am going to struggle with my applications, but I ask that you remind me when I do of your great love. You loved me when I was a complete jerk and treated you horribly. And you still do! Help me respond to everyone in love and not anger. By this, all people will know that I am your disciple and maybe they will want to know you to!

In Jesus Name – Amen!

Christ Stringer May 28th, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment