Thursday, August 27, 2020

Look Ahead

 Look Ahead

It seems that every time that I pray and ask God to speak to me through His Word - He does just that. I have to admit though; it isn't alway what I want to hear!


I was in Genesis chapter 25 reading about Jacob and Esau. The birthright of the 1st born was a pretty big deal back in the day. I cannot believe that he gave it up so easily. 


I feel like he exaggerated a little. That makes sense to me because I have done that throughout my recovery. He said, "What good is a birthright if I am dead from starvation." That sounds like me when I say, "Oh, just this one drink won't hurt me." Or, "I am tired and going through a hard time. A drink will relax me." 

 

God showed me today that I am a lot like Esau. I am indifferent to the things in life that are really important. 


Like Esau, my primary concerns have been to satisfy my immediate physical needs - with little or no thought at all about my future!


I can easily talk myself into any bad decision without giving much thought to the consequences or the way that it will alter my future. 


Recovery gets tough! Lots of times I know that I just want to give up. A bad day will make a bad decision look good and much easier to make. 


God showed me today that I need to see things in the long view. Before I make any decisions, I need to think about the consequences and the way it may alter the future. 


I definitely need to treat my recovery this way. I need to picture the positive, long range results that will come if I just hang in there. The hard work pays off in the end when you get the positive results. If you look ahead and think about that, maybe it will be a little easier to give up the momentary pleasures of the bad decisions that keep us from reaching the positive results at the end!


Be Encouraged, Chris 


No comments:

Post a Comment